Skip to main content

Transformaing Teaching with Technology


Transforming Teaching with Technology

Assessments are crucial for teachers to check students’ understanding of the material taught in class. However, it can also be beneficial to all students since assessments can also be a way of giving them feedback of where they are academically. It can be summative (End-of-Quarter or End-of-Unit tests) or formative (assessments done throughout the learning of a new unit). I believe that both are important but formative or informal assessments done throughout the lessons are important both for the students and teachers. It gives students feedback and it gives teachers an idea of when to move on to the next topic. Formative assessments can be graded but they don’t have to as well. As a teacher, I try my best to gather as much data as possible when I can to gather multiple sources of evidence. I do not want to assume anything from any of my students.


Some formative assessments can be the following:
  • A quick warm-up
  • Exit tickets
  • A quick group discussion about a topic discussed in class
  • A quick 4 questions quiz every week that take 10 minutes to do


As you can see, they do not have to take too much time. Teachers should be open minded and flexible when creating these types of assessments. It gives students a quick way to understand the topic, learn from one another and reflect on what they know. Similarly, it is a good way for teachers to reflect on their own teaching, gather data, and get some feedback from students.


Some of the technology tools I would use to conduct formative assessments are the following:
  • Kahoot: I know a lot of teachers use it now but I like it to quickly review the materials we’ve learned in class. Students seem to still like it. I would use it as a quick warm-up or even an exit-ticket depending on what I have planned for the day. It helps teachers keep track of data by collecting students’ answers on a spreadsheet.
  • Quizizz: It’s similar to Kahoot. However, students can go on their own pace and they don’t have to wait for others to respond. Teacher can show on the smartboard how the students are doing compared to others. It creates a competitive environment and students seem to get motivated by it. I would use this as a quick warm-up, exit ticket, quiz, survey, etc. It is also easy to keep track of data because it populates the students answers in a spreadsheet.  
  • Socrative: It is another similar tool to Kahoot and Quizizz. Nevertheless, they all offer slightly different ways you can do formative assessments in class.
As you can see on this picture, socrative offers quick ways to do quizzes, compete with other students (it can be done in groups or individually), exit tickets, quick multiple choice, true or false and even ask an open ended question.
Socrative also helps teachers gather data easily by uploading it on a spreadsheet as well.  
  • Nearpod: I’ve used this “interactive” slides many times with my students. It helps shift your instruction to a more student-centered learning atmosphere in your class. It is a great way to have students participate with one another and input their ideas and share them in class. You will need a computer or an iPad to be able to do use this tool. Students can draw, add pictures, even record their voices, share their ideas with others, etc. All happens live and they can all see each others’ work. It keeps them accountable and they usually like using technology tools like Nearpod. It also helps teachers gather data quickly by populating answers in spreadsheets for reflecting and teaching purposes.
   
    All the technology tools I have mentioned are all great ways to use them as formative assessments. In a perfect world, we would all have great computers, iPads, Smart boards, etc. but we know that it’s not true. I think as teachers we do what we can with the technology that we have available. Thankfully, our students usually have some kind of device that would help us use the technology tools mentioned above. They can be done with iPods or cellphones. In addition, all the tools mentioned above help teachers gather data quickly since it populates the students’ answers in one spreadsheet for reflection, gathering evidence, feedback for both students and teacher, and it saves teachers a lot of time! It is amazing when technology actually does what it promises and helps teachers with gathering data, and it helps them focus their energy on helping the students have a fun and safe learning environment.  


Comments

  1. This post had such great structure that I think it would be easy for anyone at any level of technical skill to read. I think that's an important part of writing a blog post, and a part that I feel my blog post was missing. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pear Deck Part II

Exploring Pear Deck Part II Pear Deck is a Google add-on in Google Slides that makes your Slides much more interesting and it helps with student engagement. It is a really easy to use add-on, but you might have to spend some time getting used to some of their features. Some of the things you have to remember is to sign-up and start their 30- day free trial. This way you will be able to get a real taste of using Pear Deck. I made the mistake to not signing up for their 30-free trial last time. After I got a taste of their premium membership, I like Pear Deck a lot more. Now, I keep extending my free trial but there will be a day that they will stop me from extending it. I am considering showing Pear Deck to the rest of my team and convince them to use it as well. Hopefully, we will be able to get their premium membership soon paid by our administrators. Here is an image showing you what each membership allows you to do: This time around, I chose to use Pear Dec

Google Slides Part 2

    I believe that teachers should always try to improve their skills as much as they can by evaluating  themselves in a regular basis. I struggled a little last time to make my Google Slides a little more  interesting, and that helped me to become better at Google Slides! I know you have to move backwards  a little to move forwards sometimes. I was frustrated but I was able to learn a valuable lesson. This time around, I was able to analyze what I did and change it a little so that it flows better.  In addition to making some changes, I added some more slides that will allow my students practice  their prepositions. I think they will have fun doing the activities and it’s an easy way for me to check  if they understand how the prepositions “in”, “on”, and “at” work. I will have to try it with my students,  and I will report back to you! :)  Here is my Google Slide! Enjoy and please let me know what you think!

Exploring Seesaw

This week, I've decided to give Seesaw a try. I heard about it so many times that I wanted to see why teachers love it so much. Also, I've learned a lot from Ms. Dana Dembecks's presentation that it was a no-brainer to try one of the many tech tools she mentioned. One of them was Seesaw. Seesaw it's a great tool for students to keep a journal of everything that they do in class daily. Teachers can also use it to assess students' knowledge and skills by uploading or adding activities in Seesaw. Moreover, parents can even log in to Seesaw and see what their children are doing on a daily basis.  Getting started with Seesaw wasn't hard at all. I think, overall, that the creators of Seesaw took a lot of things into consideration. They make it super easy for teachers to create an account and to help you immediately start by adding a class. Also, they give you tips and tricks on how to get started by sending you an email right after you created