Skip to main content

Formative Assessments


Teachers should always remember to create some time to reflect on their own teaching and focus on
the need of their students. Therefore, I believe that formative assessments are a way of helping our 
students accomplish their academic goals. Formative Assessments help students have an idea of 
where they are academically and what they need to get to mastery.
The formative assessment tool I chose for my pre and post-assessment is called Quizizz. I picked 
this one because students tend to like it more than Kahoot or Socrative. The pros of using Quizizz is 
that it is student paced and I can display on my smartboard where my students are as far as getting 
the items right or wrong. It gives me and the students a quick snapshot of how much they know about 
the topic.
For this week’s assignment, I want to assess how much my students know about infinitives 
(grammar). They should know it, but it is always good to double check and not to assume that they 
know it. It was quick and simple to make it. I was able to get some ideas from already made quizizz. 
I added some questions and it was a breeze. Here is a link to the website that explains how to create 
quizzes in Quizizz: https://quizizz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203769241.
One of the things that I think Quizizz is missing is to include other options to conduct formative 
assessments other than multiple choice questions. However, it is a great way to do a quick check and 
getting students prepared to answer multiple choice questions. Overall, I am liking this tool and it is 
helping me assess my students in a fun and interactive way. 

Here is the link to Quizizz (if you already have an account with Quizizz): 
https://quizizz.com/admin/quiz/5bc7253a4a413c001c2e8dc3/infinitives-exit-ticket


Here is the game code if you would like to participate as a student.



 


Comments

  1. I have to say, I failed your infinitive quizziz soooooo bad haha, I completely forgot what they were. I learned after one of your questions told me to+verb is an infinitive and after that I started getting them. Good job with that question, if I was a student taking this I would get frustrated (which I did) and this question would be a lifeline. After your presentation, I decided I would make a Quizziz because it reminded me of Kahoot and I love Kahoot. I agree that it does not have enough diversity in the types of quizzes you can create (Kahoot has jumble, survey, discussion, along with multiple choice) but it definitely is easy to use and gets the job done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elisabeth,

    I tried your quiz and really enjoyed it. I can see how kids would like this format, and also the little feedback memes you included after each answer. Nice touch. I agree with Sam ... I couldn't remember what infinitives were, but I knew what they were by the time I was done with the quiz. It was a great tool for learning. I would definitely use this in the future.

    Thank you for sharing,
    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elizabeth,

    I had never heard of Quizziz until you! It seems like such a fun tool to integrate into the classroom and I really like how interactive it is for students.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pear Deck Part II

Exploring Pear Deck Part II Pear Deck is a Google add-on in Google Slides that makes your Slides much more interesting and it helps with student engagement. It is a really easy to use add-on, but you might have to spend some time getting used to some of their features. Some of the things you have to remember is to sign-up and start their 30- day free trial. This way you will be able to get a real taste of using Pear Deck. I made the mistake to not signing up for their 30-free trial last time. After I got a taste of their premium membership, I like Pear Deck a lot more. Now, I keep extending my free trial but there will be a day that they will stop me from extending it. I am considering showing Pear Deck to the rest of my team and convince them to use it as well. Hopefully, we will be able to get their premium membership soon paid by our administrators. Here is an image showing you what each membership allows you to do: This time around, I chose to use Pear Dec

Google Slides Part 2

    I believe that teachers should always try to improve their skills as much as they can by evaluating  themselves in a regular basis. I struggled a little last time to make my Google Slides a little more  interesting, and that helped me to become better at Google Slides! I know you have to move backwards  a little to move forwards sometimes. I was frustrated but I was able to learn a valuable lesson. This time around, I was able to analyze what I did and change it a little so that it flows better.  In addition to making some changes, I added some more slides that will allow my students practice  their prepositions. I think they will have fun doing the activities and it’s an easy way for me to check  if they understand how the prepositions “in”, “on”, and “at” work. I will have to try it with my students,  and I will report back to you! :)  Here is my Google Slide! Enjoy and please let me know what you think!

Exploring Seesaw

This week, I've decided to give Seesaw a try. I heard about it so many times that I wanted to see why teachers love it so much. Also, I've learned a lot from Ms. Dana Dembecks's presentation that it was a no-brainer to try one of the many tech tools she mentioned. One of them was Seesaw. Seesaw it's a great tool for students to keep a journal of everything that they do in class daily. Teachers can also use it to assess students' knowledge and skills by uploading or adding activities in Seesaw. Moreover, parents can even log in to Seesaw and see what their children are doing on a daily basis.  Getting started with Seesaw wasn't hard at all. I think, overall, that the creators of Seesaw took a lot of things into consideration. They make it super easy for teachers to create an account and to help you immediately start by adding a class. Also, they give you tips and tricks on how to get started by sending you an email right after you created