Skip to main content

Pear Deck Part II

Exploring Pear Deck Part II


Pear Deck is a Google add-on in Google Slides that makes your Slides much more interesting and it helps
with student engagement. It is a really easy to use add-on, but you might have to spend some time getting
used to some of their features. Some of the things you have to remember is to sign-up and start their 30-
day free trial. This way you will be able to get a real taste of using Pear Deck. I made the mistake to not
signing up for their 30-free trial last time. After I got a taste of their premium membership, I like Pear
Deck a lot more. Now, I keep extending my free trial but there will be a day that they will stop me from
extending it. I am considering showing Pear Deck to the rest of my team and convince them to use it as
well. Hopefully, we will be able to get their premium membership soon paid by our administrators.

Here is an image showing you what each membership allows you to do:


This time around, I chose to use Pear Deck to review “Context Clues.” Context clues are hard to grasp so
we’ve been practicing a lot. I used Pear Deck as a formative assessment and got a taste of using this add-on
this way. Students liked it a lot more than last time because now they know how to use it and what to expect
from it. They struggle with critical thinking, so the more we practice the better they will be. After we were
done with the Slides, I was able to pull up their responses and have a conference with each on of them the
following day. My students and I were able to see where they needed help with more. The majority struggled
identifying what type of clue would help them understand the “unknown vocabulary word.” Thus, I was able
to have a conversation with each one of them and give them some suggestions on how to do that and what
they should be focusing on next time.


Here is a snapshot of what I see when I want to pull up their responses:


Here is a sample of one of my student’s responses:


Additionally, Pear Deck lets you ask questions that would arise at that moment. You simple click on
“+New Question.”
That way you can have the students process their answers before they say it out loud. Also, you can have a
record of their answers as well.


Below you will see the Pear-Deck Google Slide I created . As you go through it, you will able to see that I
used the idea that Ms. Dana Dembeck (guest speaker from one of my classes) utilized to help us understand
how powerful images are. Furthermore, I used Kirsten Kaboodle’s Context clues ideas on my slide to review
the material again with my students. I really like all the ideas she has. Please check her out when you can!
Bottom line is that I LOVE Pear Deck and I am slowly getting used to on how to maximize the use of it.
I am a little sad that my free-trial will end soon but I will be probably using other Google accounts to keep
using the premium membership trial until I don’t have enough accounts.


I hope you enjoyed reading my blog and I hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

 

Comments

  1. I did enjoy reading your blog. I am glad to see you dug a little deeper into Pear Deck. Getting your teammates on board is a great idea. If you want to sell this to your administrator be sure to include some student examples or even a student endorsement or testimonial about why they like using Pear Deck.
    Thanks for sharing your example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elisabeth,

    I really like the presentation you created with Peardeck. I was also going to review this tech this week but it required that I have a school to link with, and I don't teach yet so I went with Nearpod instead.

    I love that you ask students to draw a picture to help them remember the type of clue, and then on the next page explain their thinking. Great idea!

    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like seeing an example of a student response you received. It makes the blog post seem so official!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review of Pear Deck! I like that you went back to try out the premium version. If I remember correctly, you have experience with Nearpod as well. I know they can do similar things... which one do you like better?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Elisabeth,

    I've never used Pear Deck with students so it's cool to see your student's responses! You made a great presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The teacher I am observing for my Practicum loves Pear Deck. I have seen him do it for several different topics and show me many different features and fun things that you can do with it. It is definitely something that I want to use more, those membership fees can be a real pain though. I hope the school I end up working for already has an agreement with it because this has been one of the best apps/tools I have used. Your post about it was great too, I learned more in depth info about it. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Google Slides Part 2

    I believe that teachers should always try to improve their skills as much as they can by evaluating  themselves in a regular basis. I struggled a little last time to make my Google Slides a little more  interesting, and that helped me to become better at Google Slides! I know you have to move backwards  a little to move forwards sometimes. I was frustrated but I was able to learn a valuable lesson. This time around, I was able to analyze what I did and change it a little so that it flows better.  In addition to making some changes, I added some more slides that will allow my students practice  their prepositions. I think they will have fun doing the activities and it’s an easy way for me to check  if they understand how the prepositions “in”, “on”, and “at” work. I will have to try it with my students,  and I will report back to you! :)  Here is my Google Slide! Enjoy and please let me know what you think!

Exploring Seesaw

This week, I've decided to give Seesaw a try. I heard about it so many times that I wanted to see why teachers love it so much. Also, I've learned a lot from Ms. Dana Dembecks's presentation that it was a no-brainer to try one of the many tech tools she mentioned. One of them was Seesaw. Seesaw it's a great tool for students to keep a journal of everything that they do in class daily. Teachers can also use it to assess students' knowledge and skills by uploading or adding activities in Seesaw. Moreover, parents can even log in to Seesaw and see what their children are doing on a daily basis.  Getting started with Seesaw wasn't hard at all. I think, overall, that the creators of Seesaw took a lot of things into consideration. They make it super easy for teachers to create an account and to help you immediately start by adding a class. Also, they give you tips and tricks on how to get started by sending you an email right after you created