Skip to main content

Exploring Seesaw










This week, I've decided to give Seesaw a try. I heard about it so many times that I wanted to see why teachers love it so much. Also, I've learned a lot from Ms. Dana Dembecks's presentation that it was a no-brainer to try one of the many tech tools she mentioned. One of them was Seesaw. Seesaw it's a great tool for students to keep a journal of everything that they do in class daily. Teachers can also use it to assess students' knowledge and skills by uploading or adding activities in Seesaw. Moreover, parents can even log in to Seesaw and see what their children are doing on a daily basis. 

Getting started with Seesaw wasn't hard at all. I think, overall, that the creators of Seesaw took a lot of things into consideration. They make it super easy for teachers to create an account and to help you immediately start by adding a class. Also, they give you tips and tricks on how to get started by sending you an email right after you created an account with them. The whole process of adding classes, getting the QR code or a code for my students was easy and flawless. 
I've included a picture below showing how Seesaw looked like after I created my account and I added 3 classes as well. 
 
As you can see, there is a little dialogue box coming from the big green plus sign. It's guiding you to add more activities, post something for students to do or see, etc. I love how Seesaw is constantly reminding you or helping you navigate through their website by adding some of these little boxes when you log in.
Another thing that I love about Seesaw is that you can click on the little question mark button located on the far bottom right corner, to ask any kind of questions you may have about Seesaw. I tried it and, oh my, I was impressed on how amazing it works. (I've included a picture of where to find the little question mark button below) 

Next, let me tell you about how I found a perfect activity for my students to do. I went through the "Activity Library" and they have tons and tons of already made activities for you do edit and start using right away. I've included a picture below for you to see how the "Activity Library" looks like.
You can search by "Grade" and "Subject" as well. It was pretty straight forward and easy to use. The only thing that I struggled with a little is that I couldn't find much for my English Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) students. They are in a weird position where they are all in English 11 but their English fluency isn't quite developed yet to start any kind activity that "regular" English 11 students would do. Thus, I found myself searching activities for Grades 6th through 9th. The library has so many great activities that it was hard for me to narrow it down to one! 
Finally, I stumbled upon this activity called "Book Snap." 

The moment I knew I wanted to use this activity, I added it to "My Library." You can edit it as much as you want. It was perfect for my students since they have to read everyday for 15 minutes and complete a reading response right after. I haven't tried it yet with them but I am curious to see if they love it as much as I do. I love that they can record their voices and this will help them with editing their reading response. It will also give me a chance to go back to their recording and take some notes as necessary. 
When I introduce this to my students, since my students are in high school, I will be encouraging them to use their Google Account to sign in and start using Seesaw that way. Seesaw recommends all students from grades above 4 to use their Google account to sign in so please keep that in mind when displaying the QR code. Another thing to remember is that the QR codes expire after an hour so you will have to keep getting a new QR code. I believe that Seesaw does that to keep students and teachers safe. However, if students use their Google account to log in, it wouldn't be a problem. They will only need the code to sign up for your class once.
I hope you enjoyed reading through my blog and please let me know if you have any questions at all. I will be trying Seesaw today or next week! I can't wait for them to use it and get some feedback from them. 
In summary, I truly love this app and I would truly recommend it to ALL teachers to try it. I would suggest that teachers should try it at least twice. I say twice because it is hard to get used to something new in the beginning but the second time you try it, I know it will be much better.
I have shared the activity with you below ("Save Activity"). It is a link that will take you to the activity and add it to your Seesaw account (if you have one). ENJOY and I hope you all have a fantastic weekend! 

Comments

  1. i cannot wait to hear more about your use of Seesaw. I hope your students enjoy using Seesaw and that you continue to develop activities for high school ESOL students and then add them to the Seesaw Library for others to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth-- you'll have to let us know this works in your classroom!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elisabeth,

    This looks like a really great tech to use in the classroom. I love the visual aspect of using photographs. It’s nice that there are already so many great activities for teachers to use. Other than having a tough time finding something for your particular students, is there anything else you disliked about Seesaw?

    Thanks,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elisabeth,

    I did Seesaw as well and it was so cool to see how it can be applied in an older classroom!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Blog EDU 585

First Blog Experience EDU 585 My personal experience creating a blog through www.blogger.com wasn't easy at all. I was trying to create a new blog in blogger.com through Google Chrome and it wouldn't let me. I was getting so frustrated that I decided to take a break and resume the following day. I am so glad I did since I was able to use internet Explorer and it finally worked. However, I tried to save my drafts through Blogger but it wouldn’t save anything! So I decided to save my draft in Google Docs. I don’t know if others had the same issues as me. In my opinion, it isn’t user friendly at all. I don’t like being this negative about it but I think Google Sites is easier and user friendlier than Blogger.   On the other hand, I really liked how I can add an image from a website (a unique resource locator) and it would automatically create a hyperlink so that people can click on that image and see exactly where it came from. Nevertheless, I know I run a risk of t...

Formative Assessments

Teachers should always remember to create some time to reflect on their own teaching and focus on the need of their students. Therefore, I believe that formative assessments are a way of helping our  students accomplish their academic goals. Formative Assessments help students have an idea of  where they are academically and what they need to get to mastery. The formative assessment tool I chose for my pre and post-assessment is called Quizizz . I picked  this one because students tend to like it more than Kahoot or Socrative. The pros of using Quizizz is  that it is student paced and I can display on my smartboard where my students are as far as getting  the items right or wrong. It gives me and the students a quick snapshot of how much they know about  the topic. For this week’s assignment, I want to assess how much my students know about infinitives  (grammar). They should know it, but it is always good to double check...

Things I Know Now, That I Didn't Know Then

Before Starting EDU 585 I thought that I was pretty up-to-date with technology in general and as a learner I always tried to push myself to look for new ways I could to make my classes more interactive and student oriented. However, I would have a hard time sometimes figuring out some of the technology that was available out there all by myself. So when I heard I had to take EDU 585, I got excited because I knew that this course would provide me with more than what I was looking for. And it sure did. As a learner , I couldn’t wait to master new ways I could help my students not only reach their goals but also I couldn’t wait to try new technology that would help me as an educator, and reflect on them on a daily basis. What I gained and What I know Now Once I started taking this course, I realized how behind I was with all the technology that is currently available for educators. Looking through my blog posts, I realized how much I’ve learned by taking this cl...