Skip to main content

Using Google Slides Add-ons



  Trying Something New


Last time, I used Quizizz as my formative assessment tool. It was all multiple choice questions
so I decided to give Pear Deck a try. I wanted something more interactive and that would help
my students think more outside the box. Also, I heard that Pear Deck is similar to Nearpod.
I used Nearpod before so I was curious to try this new add-on to Google Slides. I started it
by watching the “How Pear Deck Works” video since I already had the Pear Deck add on 
to my Google Slides. However, if you do not have it here is the link that shows you how to 
create an account with Pear Deck and add it to your Google Slides: 
https://help.peardeck.com/article/168-create-a-pear-deck-account
Furthermore, I like that the students have the option to be anonymous while participating in 
class. This will make them feel at ease. I don't remember if Nearpod has that option. I
think they do but it is always good to also have their names displayed for accountability.
I think Google Slides is definitely easier to use than Nearpod. However, I know that Nearpod
has features that Pear Deck don't have. Nearpod has the option for you to put Google Earth
on it and explore the world with your students. I'm not sure if Pear Deck has it too.
Nearpod also has pre-made slides that you can use depending on what subject you teach.
I didn't sign up for Pear Deck's premium so I don't know if Pear Deck has the same thing.
So far, I don't think I was as frustrated as Amanda and I was when I was trying Nearpod out
than Pear Deck.

Making a Google Slide with Pear Deck

I used a Google Slide that I have already created. It wasn’t that hard to add some 
slides using Pear Deck but I did have some challenges that I will mention later. 
While building it, I had the following in mind:
  1. Add beginning questions: Pre-test my students’ knowledge about the topic/s. 
    Use Pear Deck to make it a little more interactive.
  2. During the lesson: I tried to add some slides with Pear Deck but I didn’t. I thought
that the physical manipulatives (different colored card) would be enough.
3. End of lesson: After reading “The Retrieval Practice” blog, I wanted to have 
my students use the “Think-Pair-Share” method to recall information with 
each other. Pear Deck already had a slide that I could add for my students 
to do this. I just added two questions that they should have in mind while 
sharing with one another.

Trying It with My Students

I was able to try it with my students and they were really excited to test something 
new. However, they thought it required too much “thinking” for them. I am glad 
to get that kind of feedback since I want my students to do some critical thinking when possible. 
I used the “ask a new question” button when new questions would arise from me or from my students.
Another feature that I liked was the “sharing answers” part. Once I knew they were done typing or selecting 
their answer, I could share their responses, and students could still change them. I know that with Nearpod, 
once you share the answers, students cannot change edit their answers.

Struggles

Like trying anything new, it was taking me a little to get used to it. I was having 
a hard time adding questions and then previewing them. I think I have an idea 
now on how to do it. However, I wonder if there is an easier way to do it? I 
would love to hear from anyone who knows how to use Pear Deck. In addition, 
I am still trying to figure out an easy way to quickly preview what I have created 
and see if what my students might see. 
Moreover, another feature that I didn’t like was that I have to have the premium version to be able to review my 
students’ responses after class was done.


Do I recommend this?

Yes! I totally do. It makes the Google Slides more interesting and more interactive 
for the students. I know I have a lot more to learn. I have seen some examples 
while playing with it so I will have to try them as I get more comfortable with it.  

Below you will see the Google Slide that I created with
Pear Deck:


Comments

  1. Hi Elisabeth,
    This was a nice explanation of how to work with Pear Deck. I love it that you were able to test it out with your students! It doesn't matter how great we think something is, but it is worthless if it doesn't work with the kids. And they usually have great feedback.
    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pear Deck Part II

Exploring Pear Deck Part II Pear Deck is a Google add-on in Google Slides that makes your Slides much more interesting and it helps with student engagement. It is a really easy to use add-on, but you might have to spend some time getting used to some of their features. Some of the things you have to remember is to sign-up and start their 30- day free trial. This way you will be able to get a real taste of using Pear Deck. I made the mistake to not signing up for their 30-free trial last time. After I got a taste of their premium membership, I like Pear Deck a lot more. Now, I keep extending my free trial but there will be a day that they will stop me from extending it. I am considering showing Pear Deck to the rest of my team and convince them to use it as well. Hopefully, we will be able to get their premium membership soon paid by our administrators. Here is an image showing you what each membership allows you to do: This time around, I chose to use Pear Dec

Google Slides Part 2

    I believe that teachers should always try to improve their skills as much as they can by evaluating  themselves in a regular basis. I struggled a little last time to make my Google Slides a little more  interesting, and that helped me to become better at Google Slides! I know you have to move backwards  a little to move forwards sometimes. I was frustrated but I was able to learn a valuable lesson. This time around, I was able to analyze what I did and change it a little so that it flows better.  In addition to making some changes, I added some more slides that will allow my students practice  their prepositions. I think they will have fun doing the activities and it’s an easy way for me to check  if they understand how the prepositions “in”, “on”, and “at” work. I will have to try it with my students,  and I will report back to you! :)  Here is my Google Slide! Enjoy and please let me know what you think!

Exploring Seesaw

This week, I've decided to give Seesaw a try. I heard about it so many times that I wanted to see why teachers love it so much. Also, I've learned a lot from Ms. Dana Dembecks's presentation that it was a no-brainer to try one of the many tech tools she mentioned. One of them was Seesaw. Seesaw it's a great tool for students to keep a journal of everything that they do in class daily. Teachers can also use it to assess students' knowledge and skills by uploading or adding activities in Seesaw. Moreover, parents can even log in to Seesaw and see what their children are doing on a daily basis.  Getting started with Seesaw wasn't hard at all. I think, overall, that the creators of Seesaw took a lot of things into consideration. They make it super easy for teachers to create an account and to help you immediately start by adding a class. Also, they give you tips and tricks on how to get started by sending you an email right after you created